Following are the instructions to mine Litecoins with ATI / AMD graphics card and Cgminer in Linux. We tested the following instructions with 2 x 7950 card and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS release. First we installed fresh installation of Ubuntu Linux, then we installed latest version of ATI Linux drivers, later on we installed recent build of cgminer and started mining.
Install ATI Linux Driver
Step 1. Launch terminal and execute following commands.
sudo apt-get install fglrx-updates fglrx-amdcccle-updates fglrx-updates-dev
Wait for 5-15 minutes, depending on your internet speed.
Step 2. Configure ATI Drivers with following commands
sudo aticonfig --lsa
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --initial
Step 3. Now reboot.
Step 4. After your computer reboots, you can verify that everything worked by typing.
sudo aticonfig --adapter=all --odgt
If you see all of your GPUs listed, with “hardware monitoring enabled” next to each, you’re good to go. Now you can install cgminer software to mine litecoins.
Install CGMiner in Linux
Step 1. Open terminal and copy/paste/execute following commands.
- Download CGMiner from official source (You can always check the latest version here).
- Unzip it to a directory with following command.
tar jxvf cgminer-3.3.1-x86_64-built.tar.bz2
- If you got libcurl4 error, install the curl lib
sudo apt-get install curl
Step 2. Now check if CGMiner detects all of your GPUs properly or not.
Step 3. That’s it your CGMiner is ready, now we just need to execute a simple command to mine Litecoins (Altcoins).
- Launch your terminal and enter to the CGMiner directory with following command.
- Now it’s time to execute the final command as per your hardware. I used following command on my Sapphire 7950 GPU using 21712 thread concurrency and 18 Intensity and got 1.05 MH/s average. Replace -u and -p with your own username and password.
./cgminer --scrypt -o http://coinotron.com:3334 -u coinqa.1 -p lm3524lm --thread-concurrency 21712 -I 18 -w 256 -g 1
You can also check various configurations with various settings from mining hardware comparison from official Litecoin wiki.